10 Easy Ways to Feel Happier, Be Healthier and Live LongerMore Giggles And Feel Happy
Let’s just say… first thing when you popped out of bed this morning, you woke up and found a little yellow post-it note stuck on the bathroom mirror that could transform your life. You smiled, instantly recognizing this very familiar word.
And on the back were instructions on how to incorporate more of it in your life so you’d feel less stress, pain and tension… more carefree, fun and energetic.
Even without the handy-dandy instructions (you think to yourself)… adding a little more is no big thing. After all, you’ve done it every single day of your life without even thinking about it. It comes as natural to you as blinking. It’s as much fun as a long overdue chat with one of your dearest friends, as cheap as an afternoon daydream, as good for you as a 15 minute workout, yet as vital as the air you breathe. You glance again… it says L-A-U-G-H-T-E-R.
Laughter is the no cost, no effort, super simple, fabulously fun, overnight solution to happier, healthier, better living. American scientific and medical journals have cited the medical and psychological benefits of laughter. This is no laughing matter.
Laughter can heal your pain… reduce your stress… help you sleep like a baby… diffuse tense in difficult situations… boost your immunity… foster creativity… multiply your productivity… extend your life… expand your point of view… bond you to others… increase your charm and charisma… make you feel happier… and help you live in the moment.
With so much to gain and absolutely nothing to lose, are you ready to take these 10 tips to heart so you can giggle a little, snicker some, chuckle boisterously, cackle raucously, snort unexpectedly and hoot and holler through happy tears of joy? Wrap yourself in a humorous perspective and laugh your way to a seriously healthy, happy and upbeat life!
Here are 10 easy ways to grab more giggles and exercise your funny bone…
- Get a Funny Buddy. Unite yourself with a laughing partner, friend, buddy or companion that you always know you can turn to for a laugh. Make a laughing agreement and shake on it, then surround yourself with more funny people. Make an effort to be around these lighthearted folks every chance you get.
- Lose your wits. Be super silly for 10 seconds and let your brilliant foolish kid out to play.
- Be a Silly Spectator. Stand back and scope out the outlandish, outrageous and crazy hilarity of humans. You will thank me the next time you are trying to ward off feelings of frustration and boredom in line at the DMV, out shopping or in the waiting room of the doctor’s office. Take it up a notch and bring your entertainment home with you and imitate their quirks, qualities or peculiarities that made you snicker earlier in the day.
- Make Over the Ordinary. Recount your everyday experiences in a fun way and relive them! People laugh at the stuff they can relate to. It’s the ordinary, everyday, run of the mill things we find funny. Some of the best sitcoms and funniest comedians (Seinfeld is a perfect example) create material out of the everyday perils of life. It’s their passion and strong point of view that strikes an emotional cord in us and makes us burst out with laughter. Go for it and liven your stories up with attitudes, opinions, voices and dialects. Be spontaneous and let it fly!
- Give Your Stories a Pay Off! The best stories have a punchy point, a profound lesson or a great big finish. Start with the end in mind. Give your friends a payoff for their attention. When you get close to the end, stop, take a deep breath and give the story a moment of silence. Let ‘em dangle in anticipation before you end with a big bang! Adding more energy, impact and volume will give your story meaning, closure and give you the rewards of laughter.
- Make it Big! Describe something gigantic. On your morning commute to work (of course while navigating your vehicle with the utmost in attentive care and caution), describe something humongous. Maybe it’s the biggest cell phone, coffee maker or Fourth of July sparkler ever to be seen at the World’s Fair.
- Demand Door to Door Comedic Entertainment. Rent your favorite classic comedy flicks or a few of the new ones you’ve been meaning to get around to. What some may consider the demise of America, I argue could be the comedic cure. Blockbuster now offers unlimited door to door delivery service with your favorite DVDs without any pesky late fees or due dates. No kidding! You’re in for some serious first rate livin’ when you think about the movies, laughs and life entertainment that will be waiting for you on your doorstep.
- Fake a Roll or Take a Part. Play Scarlet O’Hara or just ham it up for the day and walk through life with a particular point of view, strong opinion, clever persona, funny accent or problem that you must solve. Juice it up and have a dinner party where everyone has to maintain a character for the night. I’ve got a New York City cowgirl (don’t call me an urban buckle bunny) persona in my hip pocket just waiting to come out. “This girl just ain’t sure how she’s gonna lasso herself up a ride on one of them quick four wheeled, yellow stallions.”
- Let Off Some Silly Steam. Before things get too heated up think of something quirky, cool, comical or witty. Have a few funny incidents lined up in your head that you can flash to before you disagree, bicker or complain. Even the slightest smile will ease ill feelings and spread goodwill throughout the land. The absolute worst situations still have a silver lining… you are getting some really great comedic material for later. Focus on the amusing or just plain weird moments that you’ll want to recap with your friends and laugh about later.
- Hunt Down the Funnies. Look for humor everywhere you go. Stalk it, pursue it and chase it down ‘til you fall over with laughter. Think about what makes you laugh, the ironies of life that amuse you, the comedians you adore, the books that make you laugh aloud and which funny shows you refuse to miss. Read, watch or do all of the above as often as you can.
With adults laughing on average 15 times a day and children laughing about 450… we’ve got some serious work to do. Try a tip, grab a giggle and go. Track your laughs the fun and funky way. The free ‘Laughin’ Log’ is yours at www.shesite.com. Who knew at the end of the day you could add up 100 laughs (the equivalent to 15 minutes on an exercise bike) and fit in to your skinny jeans?!!
Exercise your sense of humor so you can trim your body, increase your joy and be a magnetic force that attracts others to you. Let your fun, gregarious side shine and give gushing benefits of laughter to everyone around you.
CAUTION: Laughs have been known to be contagious. So watch out, you might even infect the grumpy, irritable and cantankerous folks in your life who always seem to have something to complain about.
Julie Hunt is a female icon and founder of SHE (www.shesite.com), the foremost inspiration and personal development resource for women who want to live brilliant, happy, successful lives. Marketing consultant, sales expert, copywriting guru, improvisational actress, yoga instructor, author and just plain cool chick… she’s an inspiration to oodles of women who land on her free teleclass series ‘The Essentials.’
Don’t miss out! She’s on a mission to scream, skip, advise and acquaint with women around the globe who want live a vivacious life busting at the seams!
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Food and Drink
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Religion and Faith
Travel and Leisure