|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
Cheap Auto Insurance - 10 Crucial Tips For Traveling Teens And Petrified Parents - Articles Surfing
Cheap auto insurance can cost you a bundle if you don't keep a few crucial tips in mind. You have to do your homework to ensure that you understand the fine print - especially if you have a teenager on the verge of discovering the joys and freedom of driving. You don't want to discover too late that your cheap auto insurance policy doesn't provide coverage for a young driver...
It is an unfortunate fact that teenagers cause a spike in claim rates. Research has shown their accident rate to be up to ten times as high as that of older, more experienced drivers. This high risk group has a direct effect on quotes. The premium can almost double in some instances. Fortunately there are ways to soften the blow as far as your cheap auto insurance package is concerned.
1. Type Of Vehicle: While choosing a low risk vehicle for your teen may have you out of the running as far as the popularity contest is concerned, it will affect your insurance quote significantly. Companies frown on an expensive, fast sports car with a teenager behind the wheel. Don't dangle temptation in front of your teen. Choose that older, heavier car and you will qualify for a much lower premium, as well as a measure of peace of mind. Get a list of the no-go wheels from your insurer.
2. Driving History: Try to get your teen to understand that their driving history is just as important as their credit history. Avoiding a black mark in any shape or form is vital. Don't claim for small mishaps. Tickets for speeding are a no-no.
Passing a course at a reputable driving school will also enable your carrier to see the teen as less of a risk. Why not join your child in a Defensive Driver Program, in order to qualify for a cheap auto insurance discount? This will equip both of you to cut the risk of rear-end crashes, while teaching you and your teen to use emergency brake procedures correctly, to use safe following distances, and to drive safely in foul weather.
Expecting your teen carry his or her share of the coverage is a great way to create a careful driver and teach responsibility.
3. Avoid Distractions: Teach your teen to concentrate on driving and driving alone when in the car. No distractions are allowed. No cell phone calls. No fooling around with passengers. In fact, putting restrictions on carrying passengers during the first year or so of driving is probably sensible and can help to get you cheap auto insurance. In some states teens are now barred from carrying more than one passenger. It has been proven that having three or more passengers makes the driver up to three times as likely to be involved in an accident. The new laws also prohibit driving during the dangerous late night and early morning period. This already seems to have a beneficial effect on premiums.
4. Seat Belt Safety: Seat belt use is without question one of the most vital aspects of driving. Your teen must know that his wheels will be confiscated if he ever drives without wearing a seat belt. This also applies to passengers. By signing a seat belt wearing undertaking, you may increase your chances of landing cheap auto insurance.
5. You Are The Role Model: Remember that you are your teen's role model when it comes to driving. If you don't stick to the rules, you can't expect your kids to do so. Your example over the years will play an important role in the way they approach their own driving later on.
6. Change Driver Status: Your teen may qualify to be an occasional driver, which will draw a lower premium. At first it will also be less expensive to have teens covered under your personal protection plan. They can change to their own plan later on, once they have established some sort of record.
7. Liability Coverage: Never, ever try to save on liability coverage when taking out cheap auto insurance. This is absolutely vital. If at all possible get a comprehensive umbrella policy. This will give you a huge cushion in case of a serious accident. It is astonishing how costs can add up if such an unfortunate incident occurs.
8. Get Good Grades: A number of companies allow generous discounts of up to 25% for good grades! Make a B average or higher a provision for allowing your teen on the road.
9. Company Car: If you have your own business, your teen may be able to use the company car without you
10. Carry-Over From Your Teen: An important fact that is often overlooked is that your teen's carelessness or risky behavior may bump you into the high risk category with sky-high premiums! Your kid has to understand that his or her driving record is serious business, likely to affect the whole family. If not handled with responsibility, it may void your chances of ever getting cheap auto insurance.
Copyright © 1995 - Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Computers and Technology
Food and Drink
Food and Drink B
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Medicines and Remedies
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Wellness, Fitness and Diet