|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
10 Amazing Facts About Chocolate - Articles Surfing
Chocolate is made from beans derived from the cacao tree. These beans are very bitter, so the cocoa solids and the cocoa butter has sugar added to it, along with some other ingredients in order to make the chocolate that is available to the general public.
Chocolate is particularly popular at certain times of the year, such as Easter, Valentines Day and Christmas. As such, chocolate shaped gifts are popular. Hearts for Valentines day and cute bunnies at Easter are two high up on the gift selection list. Here are 10 interesting facts about chocolate:
1. Chocolate is lower in caffeine than tea, coffee and coca cola. A one ounce bar of chocolate contains about 6mg of caffeine, whereas a five ounce cup of regular coffee contains over 40mg.
2. Chocolate was regarded as an aphrodisiac by Aztec Indians.
3. Chocolate contains antioxidants which may help prevent cancer and heart disease.
4. Chocolate is the favourite flavour in the United States Of America.
5. The shelf life of a bar of chocolate is approximately one year.
6. In 1842 Cadbury's in England created the worlds first chocolate bar.
7. The Swiss eat the most chocolate. The average person eats 19lbs a year.
8. Chocolate contain theobromine, which is a mild relative of caffeine and magnesium. This chemical is found in some tranquilisers. Because coffee also contains caffeine, it both picks you up and calms you down.
9. It is widely believed that chocolate consumption releases a chemical into your body very similar to what is produced when you are in love.
10.Chocolate manufacturers use 20% of the worlds peanuts and 40% of the worlds almonds.
Chocolate is mildly addictive, but a bar now and again is not going to hurt. With all those great antioxidants it contains, it may even help you live longer. After all, as the saying goes, 'A little of what you fancy does you good'.
Copyright © 1995 - Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Computers and Technology
Food and Drink
Food and Drink B
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Medicines and Remedies
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Wellness, Fitness and Diet