|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
Dandruff Treatment With Herbs And Ayurvedic Remedies, Dandruff Remedy - Articles Surfing
When the cells of the scalp of the head excessively die and flake off, the condition is known as dandruff. Dandruff is easily visible as flakes present in the hair, most often accompanied by itchiness of the scalp. The itchiness can be mild or severe depending on the amount of dandruff that is present.
Though dandruff is mostly observed on the scalp of the head, it can also be present in the ears, eyebrows and the forehead. Medical science is still not clear why dandruff occurs, and why it is more prevalent in some people than in others. Some doctors indicate at dandruff being an infection of the yeast Pityrosporum ovale. There are also direct results proving that dandruff occurs due to the hyperactivity of the sebaceous glands of the scalp. Dandruff is aggravated by certain factors; so allergic causes can also be considered.
(1) Useful Herbs in the Treatment of Dandruff
1. Alfalfa (Medicago satina)
The alfalfa has remarkable effect in the growth of hair. Its effects are much increased by the combination of carrots and lettuce with the alfalfa.
2. Ash Gourd (Benincasa hipsida)
The peel and the seeds of the ash gourd are very effective in the treatment of dandruff. Regular use can keep the scalp moist and livelier which will prevent dandruff.
3. Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum)
Fenugreek seeds have curative powers to reduce dandruff. They are softened in water and applied to the scalp every morning. After an hour or so, they are washed with soap nut. This keeps dandruff away and prevents falling hair.
4. Indian Hemp (Cannabis sativa)
The juice of the Indian hemp can reduce dandruff when it is applied directly over the scalp.
5. Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
Rosemary is an active ingredient of several head tonics and shampoos. It rejuvenates the scalp by keeping it moist and hence prevents dandruff. It is also used in the treatment of premature baldness.
(2) Dietary Treatments for Dandruff
If dandruff is caused due to some food allergy, then stopping the consumption of that food will directly eliminate the dandruff. Even if no particular allergy is identified, it is found that a healthy diet can keep the scalp healthy and thus reduce the chances of dandruff.
The following are some dietary guidelines that can be used to prevent or reduce dandruff:-
1. Milk, dairy products, sea foods, animal proteins and fatty foods are on the list of foods to be avoided for people with dandruff.
2. Vitamin C is not good for dandruff. Most sour tasting foods have vitamin C in them. Therefore, tomatoes, oranges, lemons, tamarind, etc. which contain acidic content, must be avoided.
3. Fresh vegetables and fruits must be included in the diet. Green vegetables have the best effects.
4. Fermented foods and baked products must be avoided. This includes breads, cheese, wine and all kinds of alcohol.
(3) Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff
There are many Ayurvedic medicines that can be used for the treatment of dandruff.
1. For external application, Dudurpatradi tailam is prescribed.
2. Gandhaka Rasayana is used as an internal medicine for the treatment of dandruff.
3. Taking one teaspoonful of Brihat Haridra Khand in a glass of milk twice a day takes care of dandruff quite efficiently. Along with that, it also deepens the color of the hair.
4. Since dandruff can be due to the impurity of the blood, medicines must also be taken to purify the blood. In Ayurveda, Khadirarishta and Saribadyaasavam are taken for the purification of blood.
(4) Home Medications
1. One simple remedy ' which is used by many people all over the world ' is to make a paste of sandalwood oil with triple the amount of lemon juice and to apply it on the scalp when still fresh.
i. Prepare a gel of the leaves of aloe vera. Apply this on the scalp and leave it overnight. Next morning, wash it with a shampoo, preferably containing shikakai.
ii. Make regular use of a combination of olive oil and ginger root on the head. It will reduce the dandruff and nourish the hair at the roots.
iii. Make a mixture of ginger root and beetroot. Apply this on the scalp.
2. Apart from these remedies, there are several things one must do regarding head hygiene in order to reduce dandruff. These personal hygiene guidelines are:-
i. A daily bath is essential. Even if you do not shampoo your hair daily (if you are doing this, then remember to use a mild shampoo suited to your hair type), you must wash your scalp thoroughly. After the bath, dry your hair and then brush it in order to remove the flaky dandruff from it.
ii. Keep your hair well-oiled. Dandruff tends to be formed more when the skin is dry. Also oiling the air will strengthen it at its roots.
Some people believe that dandruff is increased by stress. Hence it is advisable to keep the mind free with the help of yogic asanas.
Copyright © 1995 - Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Computers and Technology
Food and Drink
Food and Drink B
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Medicines and Remedies
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Wellness, Fitness and Diet