|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
Baby Shower Cake Ideas : For A Great Centrepiece and Dessert - Articles Surfing
A baby shower is a form of celebration that aims to welcome the newest member in the family. Although baby showers were originally intended only for first-borns modern practices now allow baby shower parties for every baby that comes in the family.
Baby showers are usually organized and arranged by the relatives and close friends of the parents-to-be. They are a good way to help parents get started with the things that they need for the baby. Note, however, that there are some cultures and religious beliefs that do not consider it proper and that it is considered bad luck to have a party and bring baby things in the house before the baby is born.
Over the years, baby showers have evolved into various names such as the following:
' "Daddy's shower" - a men-only party for dads-to-be
' "Grandma's shower" - a party where guests bring baby items (such as collapsible cribs and changing pads) that grandparents can keep at their house.
' "Diaper showers" or "baby sprinkles" - a small-scale party that is usually held for succeeding children, and ideal for parents who do not need as many items (or gifts).
It is common for a baby shower to have a theme to which the entire party centers on. Baby shower essentials typically include games, presents, and food' and a cake!
A party is not complete without a cake and this also applies to baby showers.
Cakes are one of the great things about baby showers and they can be made using various basic techniques, such as the following:
1. All-in-together - this is done by placing the dry ingredients in a food processor (together with the shortening) before gradually adding the liquid ingredients.
2. Creaming method - this is done by 'creaming' butter and sugar together before gradually adding the rest of the ingredients.
3. Rubbing method - this is done by 'rubbing' the butter into the dry ingredients before adding the liquid ones.
4. Melt-and-mix - this is done by are first mixing the dry ingredients together adding the melted butter and the other liquid ingredients afterwards to complete the cake.
5. Sponge-making - this is done by whipping the eggs and sugar into a froth, with the flour carefully mixed in. Making a light sponge requires great skill, as it does not use any raising agent or fat.
Finished cakes are usually enhanced with the use of frosting (icing) or toppings (such as sprinkles.
There are different varieties of baby shower cakes to choose from. Some of them are listed below:
' Angelfood cake
' Butter cake
' Butterfly cake
' Carrot cake
' Chocolate cake
' Chiffon cake
' Devil's food cake
' Fruit cake
' Ice cream cake
' Pineapple upside down cake
' Pound cake
' Spice cake
' Sponge cake
Aside from the cake varieties above, there are also a lot of baby shower cake ideas that can make a baby shower celebration more special:
1. Belly Cake. One great idea is to design a baby shower cake and make it look like a pregnant belly. This can be done by placing a circular cake in front of a rectangular cake and frosting them together to resemble that of a pregnant belly.
2. Toy Blocks Cake. Another idea is to design a baby shower cake and make it look like children's toy blocks (either one large block or 3 to 4 smaller blocks). Toy block cakes can be further enhanced by surrounding them with candies or little toy cars.
Of course, you can also experiment and try to come up with creative ideas of your own. Remember that the 'goal' is not only to make a yummy dessert, but also a great centerpiece that will stand out in the memories of the parents-to-be.
Copyright © 1995 - Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Computers and Technology
Food and Drink
Food and Drink B
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Medicines and Remedies
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Wellness, Fitness and Diet