|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
12 Proven Ways to Introduce Children to Pets - Articles Surfing
Have you ever watched a young child around a pet cat or dog? The scenario is similar whether it happens in Berlin Ohio or any other place in the world. In one single confrontation, the child experiences a rainbow of emotions. Fear. Surprise. Excitement. The child crawls or hobbles towards the animal, reaching out to touch it. The pet's instinct tells it that something's amiss. With a woof! or meow! from the pet, the child's eyes grow as big as saucers. Sometimes the youngster then bursts into tears or retreats from the animal. As a parent, what can you do to introduce your children to animals, in a fun, safe way?
Animals create a natural curiosity in children. However, you should slowly introduce your child to a pet, to ensure that your child learns the importance of safety and responsibility:
1. Observe your child and pet closely, whether or not they live in Berlin Ohio, to determine any changes that need to be made to improve the relationship. For example, your dog's nails or your cat's claws may need to be trimmed. In addition, your child may need to learn how to pet an animal.
2. Never let a pet lick your child on the face.
3. Never leave your child unattended with a pet of any kind. This could result in a child disturbing the animal by touching it in a certain way, resulting in a defensive reaction from the pet.
4. Try to settle any animosity that forms between the pet and animal. For example, your child might get jealous when you spend time feeding or bathing the pet. Also, cats tend to be territorial. If the baby is always near you, the feline may feel that the baby has become an intruder. The bottom line is that the both your child and pet need to learn that you can show love to both of them, without neglecting either of them.
5. Never let your pet wander free in a child's nursery.
6. Make sure that you oversee the introduction. While the child may feel that pulling on a cat's tail is fun way to greet it, but Fluffy might think otherwise. By being in the room, you can help to handle any difficulties or questions from your child.
7. Allow your child to help in caring for the pet, in order to teach him or her about being responsible. This could involve feeding, bathing, and walking the pet.
8. Never let your child sleep with your pet.
9. If your child as asthma or allergies, it is not advisable to introduce a pet to your home, whether or not it is in Berlin Ohio.
10. Have your pet spayed or neutered, so it will be less likely to wander.
11. Teach both your child and the pet to be gentle with the other party. A dog or cat may just be 'playing' with the child, but it could unintentionally do harm with its nails or claws. Likewise, the child needs to be taught the importance of being kind to the creature.
12. Introduce your children to toys, such as the Fisher Price See N Say The Farmer Says, to nurture in them a better appreciation for animals. Toys provide a fun, less threatening way for children to be introduced to various types of animals.
You may be hesitant to have a pet in the house if you also have a child. There are certainly cases when it's not practical. However, by using certain techniques, such as the Fisher Price See N Say The Farmer Says, both child and animal can learn to live in peace. They may even become pals!
Copyright © 1995 - Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Computers and Technology
Food and Drink
Food and Drink B
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Medicines and Remedies
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Wellness, Fitness and Diet