|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
Bottle Feeding Orphan Shih Tzu Puppies - Articles Surfing
Nursing bottles for orphaned Shih Tzu puppies can be obtained through the veterinarian, pet supplier, wholesale catalogs or the internet. You should purchase several nipple styles to see which works best for you and your Shih Tzu.
Shih Tzu puppies can become colicky just like human newborn babies. Be careful about allowing a Shih Tzu puppy to ingest air when either tube or bottle feeding. Always turn the bottle and nipple end down, before offering it to the Shih Tzu puppy. Nursing">All the air in the bottle will rise to the solid end. When the Shih Tzu puppy is nursing freely bubbles rise in the bottle. The bubble flow should be fairly rapid, small and uniform in size, rising in even response to the Shih Tzu puppy's nursing. If the bubbles are large the Shih Tzu puppy may also be ingesting air. Check the nipple cap.
Occasionally remove the bottle from the Shih Tzu puppy's mouth to allow a return passage of air back into the bottle. A return passage of air occurs either through turning the bottle upright or by momentarily loosening the cap. Do not abruptly pull the bottle from the Shih Tzu puppy's mouth. Place a finger in the corner of the Shih Tzu puppy's lip to break the nursing hold.
Some Shih Tzu puppies may instinctively resist the unnatural feel of a manufactured nipple.
1. If the dam is available, rub the bottle and nipple and a towel over her mammaries.
2. Drape this towel across your stomach and lap.
3. Hold the puppy on your lap against your abdomen.
4. Express a small amount of formula from the bottle and wipe it over the nipple.
5. As you introduce the bottle's nipple to the Shih Tzu puppy's mouth, move your legs slightly, jiggling your lap.
6. Also jiggle the bottle up and down in the puppy's mouth using tiny motions. The movements re-create the dam's breathing and Shih Tzu puppy's nursing position on the dam that should cause the Shih Tzu puppy to instinctively and reflexively latch onto the nipple.
7. Have lots of patience.
You will need to burp the bottle fed Shih Tzu puppy after each feeding. Do not allow the Shih Tzu puppy to nurse the bottle dry to avoid a colicky baby. You can burp your Shih Tzu puppy the same as you would a newborn human baby on your shoulder with gentle pats and rubs between the shoulder blades.
This article is FREE to publish with resource box.
Copyright © 1995 - Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Computers and Technology
Food and Drink
Food and Drink B
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Medicines and Remedies
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Wellness, Fitness and Diet