|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
Recommended Carjacking Precautions - Articles Surfing
The carjacking of parked vehicles or those on the road which come to a stop depends on the car owner being inattentive to their surroundings. Carjackers, like street robbers, prefer the element of surprise. Most victims say they never saw the carjacker until they appeared at their car door.
There are some recommendations to reduce your risk of being carjacked; we have listed some of those common sense recommendations below:
* Always park in well-lighted areas, if you plan to arrive/leave after dark.
* Don*t park in isolated or visually obstructed areas near walls or heavy foliage.
* Use valet parking or an attended garage, especially if you*re a woman driving alone.
* As you walk to your car be alert to suspicious persons sitting in cars.
* Ask for a security escort if you are alone at a shopping center. Do not be too shy to make the request.
* Watch out for young males loitering in the area (handing out flyers, etc.)
* If someone tries to approach, change direction or run to a busy store.
* Follow your instincts if they tell you to walk/run away to a busy place.
* As you approach your vehicle, look under, around, and inside your car.
* If safe, open the door, enter quickly, and lock the doors.
* Don*t be a target by turning your back while loading packages into the car.
* Make it your habit to always start your car and drive away immediately. Don*t hang a round using your cell phone etc, leave as soon as you get into your car.
* Teach and practice with your children to enter and exit the car quickly.
* In the city, always drive with your car doors locked and windows rolled up.
* When stopped in traffic leave enough room to maneuver and escape if necessary.
* If you are bumped in traffic, by young males, be suspicious of the accident.
* Wave to follow, and drive to a gas station or busy place before getting out.
* If you are ever confronted by an armed carjacker don*t resist.
* Give up your keys or money if demanded without resistance.
* Don*t argue, fight or chase the robber. You can be seriously injured.
* Never agree to be kidnapped. Drop the cars keys and run and scream for help.
* If you are forced to drive, consider crashing your car near a busy intersection so bystanders can come to your aid and call the police.
* Call the police immediately to report the crime and provide detailed information.
Do these recommendations sound too hard to put into effect everyday? You are correct if you answer *no*. The alternative could be both dangerous and costly. Take action today.
Copyright © 1995 - Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Computers and Technology
Food and Drink
Food and Drink B
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Medicines and Remedies
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Wellness, Fitness and Diet