|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
Hot And Spicy Chick Peas (Vegetarian Recipe) - Articles Surfing
Makes 2 servings in 45 minutes
Much of the Indian population is vegetarian, and they enjoy the most extensive vegetable dishes in the world.
This is not only because of the predominant Hindu religion with its respect for all living creatures.
Also feeding 1 billion Indian people nowadays can be done much more efficiently by growing vegetables in stead of animals.
Last but not least: when a refrigerator is not available, it is much easier to use up small portions of vegetables, in stead of having to slaughter and store 1 big animal.
For vegetarian dishes, you will notice that each Indian region has distinct cooking techniques and flavoring principles to prepare them.
You have probably also noticed that there are many, many "curry"-recipes. Actually "Kari" is the Tamil (one of the many languages spoken in India) translation for the English word "sauce". And "curry" is the western way of pronouncing this word.
Before coming to Malaysia, my simple western recipe for using chick peas was to add them in thick soups... Since Malaysia is the melting pot of all Asian cuisines, I notice that there are as much chick pea curry recipes as that there are people here.
Here is one of them: a home-cooked chick pea curry recipe from my Indian friend Ssussi. She uses a lot of fresh ingredients and her recipe takes a bit more of your time than expected for such a simple yet delicious dish.
* 1 can of chick peas (15 1/2 Oz; 439 gr)
1. Drain chick peas, reserving the liquid.
2. Cook the onions, ginger garlic, chilies and turmeric in the vegetable oil until golden and softened.
3. Add the tomatoes and cook to soften, then add the ground coriander and chick peas.
4. Cook for 10 minutes, add the reserved liquid and cook a further 10 minutes.
5. Add "garam masala", lemon juice and stir in the fresh coriander. Cook gently for 2-3 minutes, adding more liquid, if needed, to make a sauce.
Copyright © 1995 - Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Computers and Technology
Food and Drink
Food and Drink B
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Medicines and Remedies
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Wellness, Fitness and Diet