|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
OTHER ITA SITES:
Are You Really Prepared For A Life With Dreadlocks?
Dreadlocks are "HOT", in style, and everyone from teenagers to business professionals wants them. Look around and there they are on billboards, television commercials, sitcoms, in sports, cartoons, movies, and magazine advertisements.
With the popularity of dreadlocks on the rise, you may think it is easy to adorn your head with this wonderful fashion. The process or growing or converting your hair to dreadlocks can be a long difficult process. There are still many in society who do not understand this unique hairstyle. They can make your life difficult by denying your right to have them.
Here are 15 tips you can use to prepare yourself for a life of dreadlocks:
1. Take a good look at your hair and determine its natural texture. Is it coarse, curly, or straight? This is the first and most important step. The texture of your hair will determine what method to use, if you will require chemicals, and how long the process will take.
2. Determine if you are growing dreadlocks for just a hairstyle, spiritual awakening, or to make a dramatic change in your life. Different reasons give you different processes to use for dreadlocking.
3. Understand that dreadlocks are fast becoming a prosperous business for hairstylists. You will be exposed to many types of gimmicks, quick fix methods, and unhealthy hair products.
4. If you decide to use a loctician, plan to schedule many visits and paying a fee each visit. You must revisit the loctician or hairstylist to retwist and reapply chemicals such as beeswax.
5. Educate yourself about dreadlocks. Check out books from the library, read hair-fashion magazines, and find books at your local bookstore.
6. Google such terms as "dreadlocks", "how to grow dreadlocks", or "natural hair" on the internet. Hundreds of informative websites and newsgroups exist that deal with dreadlocks.
7. Go to different hair salons and compare their different techniques. Make sure their prices match their environment and services.
8. Talk to those who have them. Question them about their good and bad experiences with growing dreadlocks.
9. Make your plans to grow dreadlocks known to everyone at work, home, and school. Ask them how they feel about your decision and why they feel a certain way. This action step with help you find out who you can turn to or trust if society gives you a hard time with your dreadlocks.
10. Check out the dress code at your place of employment. If possible, talk to your Human Resource department and let them know your plans. You should find out exactly where they stand on the issue.
11. Are you prepared to upgrade your skills, start a new business, or find another job if your current job cannot accept your dreadlocks?.
12. Read more books, study new things, and step outside your comfort zone. This is a great opportunity to learn how to bring positive changes into your life.
13. Do a little soul-searching through the power of prayer, meditation, using affirmation, and practicing visualization. Any one of these techniques have helped many overcome adversities in their life.
14. Get a journal and start writing your daily thoughts and feelings.
15. Listen to positive motivational audio CDs and attend uplifting seminars. The more confident you become, the easier you will welcome you new life with dreadlocks.
What is most important reason you want to grow dreadlocks? Will they be enough to keep you on the path? Before you take the leap, understand that dreadlocks are a beautiful way to express yourself but they may come at a price. Prepare yourself.
For more information on growing dreadlocks and creating a prosperous life with them visit http://www.HowToGrowDreadlocks.com
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Food and Drink
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Religion and Faith
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B