| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us |
This site is an archive of old articles

    Custom Search

vertical line

Article Surfing Archive

Non-UK Students - Do You Have The Qualifications To Get Into A UK University? - Articles Surfing

If you want to know whether your qualifications are enough to get you into a UK university, this article is for you. Most UK Universities recognise qualifications from other countries, but it can be difficult to know if your qualifications will count.

Know the System

Entry to UK universities is managed by an organisation called 'UCAS' (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service). UCAS has a 'Tariff' system which they define as:

'... a points system used to report achievement for entry to higher education (HE) in a numerical format.', which '... establishes agreed comparability between different types of qualifications', and ' ... provides comparisons between applicants with different types and volumes of achievement.'
Source: www.ucas.co.uk

Therefore your qualifications are given points and if you acquire enough points you are acceptable.

Speak the Same Language

Practically all UK universities require a minimum standard of written and spoken English Language. Some universities provide language training but in general the qualification you require are:

For undergraduate courses: IELTS 6.0, TOEFL 550, TOEFL Computer based 213, HKALE Use of English Grade C, HKCEE English Syllabus B Grade D.

For postgraduate courses: IELTS 6.5, TOEFL 575, TOEFL Computer based 230.

But Do I Qualify?

We now provide specific examples of how qualifications from various countries are considered by listing the overseas qualifications recognised by Manchester Metropolitan University, which specialises in assisting overseas students.

Please note that these are only guidelines ' you should always gain confirmation from the university you want to go to.

Recognised Overseas Qualifications

Senior Middle Three: Acceptable for entry onto the Foundation Year programme.

University Diplomas: Acceptable for entry into Bachelor degree courses.

University Degrees - Considered for entry into Masters and Postgraduate courses.

Undergraduate programmes - 10 + 2 ' minimum of 70%.

Postgraduate programmes - Bachelor degree: a minimum of 60%.

Hong Kong
HK Certificate of Education / LCCI Intermediate: Grades A, B, and C are generally to the UK 'GCSE' school leaver qualification (except for English Language where Use of English on the HK ALE: Grades A, B, C are generally considered to be equivalent to the GCSE).

LCCI Higher: Approximately equivalent to AS Levels.

HK Advanced Level Certificates: Equivalent to A Levels.

Vocational Certificates and Diplomas / Institute of Vocational Education (IVE) Certificates and Diplomas / University Higher Certificates and Higher Diplomas: Equivalent to BTEC National Certificates and Diplomas ' possible entry directly into the second or third year of certain of our courses.

Associate Degrees from the Hong Kong University'SPACE, Hong Kong Baptist University, City University, Lingnan University and Hong Kong Polytechnic University: Possibly eligible for consideration for direct entry onto some advanced courses.

Upper secondary School leaving Certificate (Kotogakko Sotsugyo Shomeisho). Require a one year foundation study programme in the UK before entering undergraduate courses.

Undergraduate entry - holders of Vocational degree (Semonshi) or Associate degree (Jungakushi).

Postgraduate entry - holders of First degree (Gakushi).

STPM: Equivalent to A Levels.

Canadian High School/Secondary School Diploma, 70% score minimum: Possible consideration for undergraduate courses

South Australian Matriculation, at least 72% with no subjects below 12/20: Considered for undergraduate courses.

Victoria Certificate of Education : Average grade of B required.

LCCI Intermediate: Approximate to the GCSE.

LCCI Higher: Approximate to AS Levels.

International Baccalaureate: Minimum 28 points required for entry to undergraduate courses.

BTEC HND: Considered for entry into the second and third year of relevant undergraduate courses.

College Diplomas and Higher Diplomas: Individually considered for entry onto undergraduate.

Undergraduate study: Holders of the Singapore/Cambridge GCE Advanced level may be considered.

Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas / Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas from recognised private colleges: Considered for entry into year 2 or 3 entry of undergraduate courses.

Holders of the Bachelor Honours degree: Considered for postgraduate entry.

M6 School Leaving Certificate with a recognised foundation qualification: considered for undergraduate entry.

Institute of Technology and Vocational Education, certificate and diploma: Considered for entry to Bachelor degree courses.

Holders of the Diploma of Vocational Education / students having successfully completed the 1st year of a Thai degree course: Considered for entry to the 1st year of Bachelor degree courses.

Holders of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or 6 IB Subject Certificates (including at least 3 at higher level) with a minimum total of 28 points, or A-levels obtained locally: Considered for entry to Bachelor degree courses.

Bachelor degree: Considered for postgraduate programmes.

High School Diploma: Considered for entry to foundation year leading to undergraduate study.

Junior College Diploma: Considered for undergraduate entry.

Bachelor (Haksa) degree: Considered for postgraduate entry

Senior High School or Vocational Senior High School: Considered for Foundation Year programmes.

Junior College Diplomas (2/3/5 year programme): Considered for Bachelor degree.

Junior College Diplomas (2/3/5 year programme) plus more than 3 years relevant work experience: Considered for Postgraduate/Masters' courses.

First three years of a five year junior college diploma completed: Considered for Foundation Year.

University Degree: Considered equivalent to UK degrees and considered for Masters/Postgraduate entry.

As a non-UK student your qualifications may provide the entry requirements for a UK University. We hope our outline has proven useful to you.

Submitted by:

Tony Radford

Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) provides assistance and information to potential students from outside the UK. Click http://www.mmu.ac.uk/international/index.php for full information, a newsletter and application details.



Copyright © 1995 - Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).


Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Cancer Survival
Computers and Internet
Computers and Technology
Education #2
Food and Drink
Food and Drink B
Gadgets and Gizmos
Home Improvement
Home Management
Kids and Teens
Learning Languages
Legal B
Marketing B
Medical Business
Medicines and Remedies
Music and Movies
Online Business
Parenting B
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Real Estate
Recreation and Sports
Self Help
Self Improvement
Short Stories
Site Promotion
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Web Development
Wellness, Fitness and Diet
World Affairs
Writing B