|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
Quick Reference Guide for Buying, Storing and Serving Cheese - Articles Surfing
Cheese is more than just peeling back the wrapper on a slice of American cheese. There are proper buying, storage and serving procedures that will help maintain freshness and ensure enhanced flavor and texture.
When buying cheese consider these three items.
1) Where to Shop
- Choose a reliable source such as a specialty market or gourmet grocery store.
- Find a cheese only market or a cheese restaurant. Many large metropolitan areas have restaurants that serve only cheese and wine.
- Shop at a gourmet food store that specializes in cheese.
2) Amount to Purchase
- Buy only what will be consumed with in a few days. Flavors and aroma of fine cheeses change over time in a home refrigerator.
3) Characteristics of Cheese
- Cheese should present the characteristics of that particular style. The interior should not have cracks, mold or discoloration in any form.
- Natural rind cheeses have a rustic appearance. The rind on the outside of these cheeses is a side product of production.
Blue or Roquefort styles will have some mold and cracks
Copyright © 1995 - Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Computers and Technology
Food and Drink
Food and Drink B
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Medicines and Remedies
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Wellness, Fitness and Diet