|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
How to Make a Loft Bed - Articles Surfing
For big or small bedrooms, loft beds are an excellent option. They are easy to assemble and save lots of spaces. Loft beds provide lots more uses than just a mere place to lie on.
Bed space-savers and multi-function bunkers; loft beds are best for utilizing space wisely in our rooms. They not only offer comfortable beds to lie on'loft beds also provide small storage spaces or cabinets or shelves underneath. And now we can make them ourselves following this guide.
1. First, we need the loft bed posts. Have the 4 posts measure exactly 4 by 4 inches by 8 feet.
2. We need to form a rectangular box shape of 40 by 78 inches with 5 and 1/2 inches height supported by these four posts. The rectangular box is formed by connecting 2 by 6 by 8 lumber pieces at their corners using 3-inch screws. Into this box we fit the plywood to form the lying on area of the loft bed.
3. Hold 2 posts parallel each other at a distance of 78 inches from outer edge to outer edge. Attach the posts to the 2 by 6 by 8 rectangular box by drilling holes on the post and at the box corners and inserting 4-inch and 3/8 inch bolts through them. Repeat the process with the other corners of the rectangular box and the 2 remaining posts. After this, we have the loft bed (rectangular box) connected to the post.
4. Make another loft bed (rectangular box) for the upper level. Connect this upper level bed in the same way as the first loft bed level. Then we make a wooden ladder with a riser height of 10 inches. Attach the ladder to the double loft bed with bolts, nuts, and washers at the foot and header, and also at the mid section, if possible. We may attach this ladder on any part of the loft bed.
5. Then, apply sanding on all the exposed surfaces of the loft bed before painting. Make sure that the upper level has enough head clearance with regards to the ceiling and do not make the loft bed size too narrow or wide. Check the dimensions of the loft bed to fit the available mattress size. And double check the safeness and sturdiness of the ladder material, construction, and attachment.
Always use machine bolts and nuts to attach the rectangular box to the posts. Make use of the space underneath for small storages or built-in cabinets or drawers. There are ready made units (wooden or metal) of these ready to be attached using studs.
Loft beds are the best option for space-saving bedroom ideas. They're easy to assemble and practical to use long term. Moreover, kids just love them - just make sure the kids will not fight about whoe gets which bunk.
Copyright © 1995 - Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Computers and Technology
Food and Drink
Food and Drink B
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Medicines and Remedies
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Wellness, Fitness and Diet