|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
How to Make a Practical Deck Bench - Articles Surfing
A deck bench seats two or more people so they can enjoy viewing from the deck. Good deck benches can be built practically without much expense. If we want to, we can build a deck bench ourselves.
You have a nice deck with a great view, but what is missing?
A deck bench need not be expensively built. It can be made from unused wood pieces or from bracket kits sold cheaply and are easy to install.
1. Prepare wood pieces measured as follows: 1 and ' by 3 and ' by 42 inches (2 pieces) for deck bench sides; 1 and ' by 3 and ' by 15 (2 pieces) for end deck bench members; one slat measuring 1 and ' by 1 and ' by 45 inches plus two stretches of 1 and ' by 3 and ' by 15 inches. Last, we also need 4 braces measuring 1 and ' by 5 and ' by 15 inches each and 4 legs with size 3 and ' by 3 and ' by 13 inches each.
2. Do the deck bench frame. Attach end pieces between side pieces. Do this by putting deck screws of 3-inches piercing the sides. Attach the slat to the frame by placing 3-inch deck screws piercing the sides. Attach the frame and slat by putting 3-inch deck screws piercing both ends.
3. Do the deck bench pedestal. Put the slat piece upside down to mark where the stretchers ought to be. Measure 5 inches and 3 and ' inches basing on the inner side of the end pieces. Attach the stretchers to the slat using 1/2 'inch deck screws. The braces will keep the deck bench sturdily in place.
4. Shape the deck bench by drawing a 1 and 1/2 'inch line at the highest corner plus a 1 and 1/2 'inch line at the lowest corner. Cut through the lines one by one at the ends. Do likewise for the other braces of the deck bench.
5. Now, we put the deck bench parts together. At each side of our stretchers we attach a brace using 3-inch screws. Attach also the legs to the braces on the portions adjoining the deck bench with 3-inch screws. Then sand all over the exposed surfaces of the deck bench, especially the seat itself. Sanding makes these surfaces safe to touch and run our fingers on. Apply desired paint color.
6. A deck bench should have all its screws hidden with wood putty and painted. Check if the deck wall is too low for kids to climb. If so, put railings high enough to keep kids from climbing even when propped up our deck bench.
Decks often provide good vantage points for better views of a place. Deck bench makes the experience more relaxing.
Copyright © 1995 - Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Computers and Technology
Food and Drink
Food and Drink B
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Medicines and Remedies
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Wellness, Fitness and Diet