|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
10 Mistakes To Avoid When Setting Up A Link Directory - Articles Surfing
When adding a link directory to a web site there are a few important guidelines to observe. Ignore them and it could affect your ability to build traffic through reciprocal links and ranking with the search engines. I know, because I made some of these mistakes and didn't have anyone to offer any advice or tell me what I'm about to tell you.
1. Don't create a directory page with all your links on one page
2. Plan your link directory on paper first
For example if your site is about Making Candles and Candle Accessories, don't have link categories for Computers & Games, or Search Engine Optimization etc. The reason is that if you want your site to achieve a good ranking with the search engines your site should be built tightly around your theme, in this example Candles.
3. Only link to web sites that relate to your site theme
4. Choose names for link categories that you want to use now and in the future
If later, you change the category name to "Candle Lights" the link manager software will create a new page called Candle-Lights.html and you will lose the page rank you had gained for the earlier page. If your link partners linked to you because the page you put them on had a good page rank, renaming the page will cause this page rank to fall to zero. As a result your link partners may drop the link they have back to you, which is not what you ever want to happen.
5. Avoid having sub-categories or sub sub-categories in your directory
6. Ensure each page of your link directory has a link back to your home page
7. Don't be obsessed at linking only to websites with a good search engine ranking
8. Don't use link directory software that doesn't automatically check links
9. Don't use standard templates that come with any link manager
10. Don't assume you're finished once you've set up your link directory
This means making an add a link request, as if you were a visitor to your own web site. Setting up test links and making sure these links are being checked by the software so it detects when links are removed or defective. Making sure it sends out email notices correctly and check the formatting is correct when they are received. You should also check you can make backups of your link directory database and be able to restore it in the event of a problem.
Copyright © 1995 - Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Computers and Technology
Food and Drink
Food and Drink B
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Medicines and Remedies
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Wellness, Fitness and Diet