|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
Employment Process, Step by Step - Articles Surfing
The process of employment starts with identification of need. The need can be caused by new business need (new positions planned in a business plan for a next year). Also it can be filling in of the vacancies.
Identification of needs for employment covers several factors to be cleared out:
- Name of the position
- Job Description
- Education / Qualifications / Experience
- Organisational placement ( what function, what grade, ... )
- Period of Employment
After all this factors are known, the execution of process starts in public with advertisement. It can be outside advertisement ( newspapers, radio, ... ), but also it can be internal, within the same company, in order to offer the opportunity to other employees for potential promotion.
After the finish of collection of applications, the selection starts. All application are carefully collected, segregated by groups ( invalid application vs. valid ), further filtered by specific criteria, such as age, if it is requirement for specific position, education, different level of experience. In reality it is not realistic to have more than 20-30% of applications to be worth considering for next step, and that step is the Interview.
Interviews are scheduled so that every candidate arrives at appointed premises at specific time of a day, in reserved time window. It is recommended to have pleasant room available, with comfortable chairs, a pleasant light and normal ventilation of air. It is not mandatory, but other elements like snacks and drinks on table, gentle music in background, flower in the corner of the room etc. are welcome.
All this prerequisites are recommended for successful condition of the interview. After the initial introduction between interviewee and interviews, the session begins.
Usually there are 2-3 interviewers, out of which one is a lead Interviewer that leads all the process. Normally this person is a HR person. The other interviewer(s) are more observers and note keepers, although they also participate. These interviewers are normally people that are going to work with potential candidate the most closely (e.g. Supervisor).
The lead Interviewer start with opened questions like:
- Tell us something about yourself, your background, experience, etc.
- What motivated you to apply to this position?
After this part more closed type of questions comes:
- What would you do in situation XY?
- How do you behave in stress situations?
- What kind a role do you like during the team activities?
After this part it is recommended, if the candidate so far satisfied the criteria, to open up more concrete discussion about specifics of the positions. Interviewer opens up:
- This position has a role to...
- Basically the description of the job and duties is...
- This position consider work in conditions...
- There are specific rules to be respected, such as...
Now the feedback is expected from candidate:
- What do you think about this description?
- Can you imagine yourself in that position?
- Are you willing to adopt specific skills through training?
After this filtering, if the candidate is still with us, than we can start with additional questions like:
- Tell us your 3 virtues and 3 areas for improvement:
- Where do you see yourself in 3 years?
- What is your expectation regarding income?
- Do you have some restrictions ( health, current employer, etc. )
- Do you have some questions left to us?
After these closing questions Interviewer thanks to candidate for his time and effort, while informing him that the outcome of the interview will be known in a due time, and that he/she will be informed by phone/mail, etc.
Of course this scenario can be modified as per needs of specific position, but also as per need of every candidate. Some of the require more time ( those with potential ), some of them less.
During Employment Period apart of Interviews, the Company can conduct Testing of candidates. This Testing is done in various areas and requires professional specialists.
- Psychometric testing ( Logical test, Social Test ) requires you to hire a professional Psychologist, in order to have quality profiling.
- Driving testing is required for Drivers, Sales personnel and everybody else that drive a company's vehicle.
- Assessment Center is Complex type of testing, covering a broad range of skills and competencies. It is mostly designed for Managerial level. For this outsourcing is needed in form of experienced Consulting Company.
Basically, it is matter of management decision whether the Company will decide to go or not with various testing. Mostly they require competent Assessors, who can be employed within company, for the bigger companies, while smaller companies will decide to get this service through outsourcing.
Copyright © 1995 - Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Computers and Technology
Food and Drink
Food and Drink B
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Medicines and Remedies
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Wellness, Fitness and Diet