Have you ever woken up in the middle of Sunday night in a cold sweat dreading you have to go to work Monday?
I have. And I am sure a lot of you have also.
What causes this and what is the solution? You internally dislike your job and finding a new job is the solution. Perhaps working from home where you are in control.
Throughout my work career I've had the opportunity to work at jobs I really enjoyed such as the US Army, a large financial planning firm as well as one of the larger 'Big Box' retail chains.
I have also had the experience of working for a few companies where lying was the norm and Nepotism (hiring family members against company policy) was accepted.
Through these experiences I have come up with 5 key signs and or reasons it is time for a person to move on.
- Your boss lies to the clients on a daily basis. I used to work in the digital printing industry where deadlines are tight and machinery does break down. I used to hear the owner lie to the customers about when a project would be completed. Of course I was the one left at the shop to explain to the customer why the job wasn't done. The first time you hear the boss lie to a client I suggest you do two things. The first confront the boss professionally and tactfully and ask them why they lied. Usually they will try to sugar coat it, state right then and there it is something you do not agree with. Look for a solution for future potential problems. The second thing you should do is start looking for another job.
- Your company or boss promises you a raise, bonus or time off and doesn't follow through. A good friend of mine told me a story of how she worked for a company and her boss promised her three days off if they made there goal for the quarter. Well my friend worked her butt off and made the sales necessary to 'make' the quarter. Her boss then told her they had to double the quarter's revenue in order to qualify for the three paid days off. She protested and the boss came back with 'that's what we agreed on' which of course was not the case. When you are working with a boss who is so pathetic it is better to move on. Keep your cool and start looking for a job, or better yet start your own business.
- Your boss asks you to supervise one of there relatives. Remember the 'Blood is thicker then water' from experience I can tell you it is true. Another good friend relayed a story to me about working for one of the larger 'one stop' digital presentation companies. He was hired as an assistant Branch manager or in this case the hired gun to clear out the deadwood. During his numerous interviews the Branch manager assured him that the fact many of their friends and also her Brother worked there he would have the authority and support to bring things back up to corporate standards. Well after the Brother showed up late three times my friend wrote the brother up for being late. Well guess what the sister/Branch Manager didn't write him up the next time he was late (my friend was off that day). That sent a signal to the Brother that it was ok to ignore my friend as the Branch manger wasn't writing him up. Moral of the story do not join companies where you will be a direct supervisor of a relative of your supervisor. It is nice to think it will work but it in a large majority of cases will not.Get out while you can.
- Your boss asks you to lie for them. Once you start lying your boss will feel they got you right where they want you. Don't do it. First thing to do is check with your labor board see if this is illegal and do you have any protection, second start looking for another job and third tactfully and professionally confront your boss, being prepared to be fired. If you are fired just wish them the best of luck, (this will most likely later drive them nuts thinking about it). Think about it why would you trust this person at all anymore, especially now that they are trying to drag you into there lies. Final point if you do something illegal or immoral for the boss and someone finds out about it who do you think the boss is going to point there finger at? You!!
- You keep getting phone calls from creditors of your work place while at work. I went through this and the owner asked me to tell the creditors he was not there. OK maybe one time but after that pack your bags. Think logically if they aren't paying the creditors what makes you think they will pay you.
When you decide it is time to leave above all for your next job do something you love. This will help soften life's negative blows allot. Life is to short to be miserable and also to short to be working with pathetic small minded people. Always try to leave on good terms with a job waiting but realize sometimes for your own mental health sake you might have to just leave. Happiness IS NOT dependent on money, happiness is dependent on mental well being