| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us |
This site is an archive of old articles

    SEARCH ARTICLES


vertical line

Article Surfing Archive


Reaction To The Cask Of Amontillado - Articles Surfing

The sound of bricks being laid and the dampness of the crypt enveloped me as I stared blankly into space. The alcohol that intoxicated my mind was long gone but it feels as if my whole being is still submerged in liquor.

There was light from the other side of the niche, but it was getting faint. As I tried to move towards the light the chains held me back. I called out to him' he replied with an echo' I tried to call out again but only a weak cry came out of my mouth.

As panic was starting to escalate, so was the feeling of suffocation. I managed to laugh at what was going on. Convincing myself that this was all a joke, that at the end of the day everyone will have something to laugh about. Then I realized it wasn't. I moved to the newly assembled wall trying to listen if he was still at the other side. I took off my jester's hat, stared at it and placed in on the stone cold floor beside me. I heard some movement from the other side. I yelled at him with great desperation. He yelled back but I was too confused to answer. He called again. Still I did not answer. Then the room became brighter. But it wasn't for long, for just as fast as it had become brighter, the room succumbed to darkness as the sound of the bells echoed.

The footsteps began to fade. I knew he thought I was dead. But I wasn't, though I know in a matter of minutes I will be. My mind tried to ban the reality that I was deep under his palazzo and there was no chance that some one might hear me. I started to scream like a wild animal' Screaming for help' Screaming, hoping some one might hear me' I screamed until I ran out air. Then, I resigned to the certainty that I was alone, alone and afraid deep in the catacombs of the Montresors.

I sat down and leaned at the damp wall. Questions started to flood my mind as I hugged my hat with it's bells jingling. Why? Why did he do this? Why me? What did I do wrong for me to be punished like this? Then it hit me' He had planned this all along' This did not just happen. I was lured into a trap' I was such a fool to believe that a man like him could actually have the Amantillado. Or maybe that was what he wanted, for me to look like a fool.

I hugged my hat forcefully with tears coursing down my cheeks as I recall the kind of man he was. It was not in his nature to be a savage brute. He was gentle and well mannered. His family was respected. What">All the while as I was giving him my trust, he was planning my end. He has taken advantage of my fascination for the Amantillado and my undeniable intoxication.

I could feel the numbness ascend. It was as if blood is being drained out of my system. It won't be long now. I eased down onto the cold floor still hugging my hat. I submitted to the harsh reality that this is where I will die. Alone in the cold, damp and dark catacombs. I closed my eyes as I feel the air being sucked out of my lungs. My mind began to slow down. My body began to stiffen. Then the bells jingled.

Submitted by:

Rhea Mae Magbanua

A nurse who writes occasionally.


        RELATED SITES



https://articlesurfing.org/short_stories/reaction_to_the_cask_of_amontillado.html

Copyright © 1995 - 2024 Photius Coutsoukis (All Rights Reserved).

ARTICLE CATEGORIES

Aging
Arts and Crafts
Auto and Trucks
Automotive
Business
Business and Finance
Cancer Survival
Career
Classifieds
Computers and Internet
Computers and Technology
Cooking
Culture
Education
Education #2
Entertainment
Etiquette
Family
Finances
Food and Drink
Food and Drink B
Gadgets and Gizmos
Gardening
Health
Hobbies
Home Improvement
Home Management
Humor
Internet
Jobs
Kids and Teens
Learning Languages
Leadership
Legal
Legal B
Marketing
Marketing B
Medical Business
Medicines and Remedies
Music and Movies
Online Business
Opinions
Parenting
Parenting B
Pets
Pets and Animals
Poetry
Politics
Politics and Government
Real Estate
Recreation
Recreation and Sports
Science
Self Help
Self Improvement
Short Stories
Site Promotion
Society
Sports
Travel and Leisure
Travel Part B
Web Development
Wellness, Fitness and Diet
World Affairs
Writing
Writing B