|| Home | Free Articles for Your Site | Submit an Article | Advertise | Link to Us | Search | Contact Us ||
OTHER ITA SITES:
10 Things To Know About Egypt
From mummies to pyramids to Cleopatra to the bible, there is no disputing the fact that Egypt has played a major role in the history of mankind. While it is easy to get caught up in the fascinating history of Egypt, modern Egypt offers just as many interesting tidbits of information. Here are 10 things you might already know about the country or, then again, you might not.
1. Egypt is the most populous country in what is considered the Arab world and is the second most populous country in Africa with more than 70 million people claiming residence.
2. Almost the entire population of Egypt lives in the cities of Alexandria, Cairo and along the Nile river delta, making said areas the most densely populated in the word with over 3,800 people per square mile.
3. Education is compulsory in Egypt and free through grade the age of 16. Notwithstanding this fact, the literacy rate for Egyptians is a low 57 percent.
4. The word �Egypt� means civilization in metropolis in its original Arabic interpretation.
5. The period of the pharaohs started in 3,100 BC with the rule of the Pharaoh Mena and lasted through 29 subsequent dynasties that are divided up into the Old Kingdoms, Middle Kingdoms and New Kingdoms for archeological purposes.
6. Following the fall of the dynasties, Egypt suffered through hundreds of years of foreign occupation by Persians, Turks, Romans and Greeks. Napoleon Bonaparte even controlled the country for a short period of time.
7. The Aswan High Dam was completed in 1970 and supplies massive amounts of electricity to the country through hydropower. Unfortunately, the dam has also blocked the movement of nutrients to the fields beyond it causing equally massive agricultural problems.
8. Although the longest river in the world, the Nile is never more than 20 kilometers wide.
9. Egypt is in the process of becoming a major exporter of natural gas.
10. Egypt is approximately 387,000 square miles in size.
If ever there was a country that fascinates people on a large scale, it is Egypt. From pharaohs to the Nile, it is an amazing place.
Auto and Trucks
Business and Finance
Computers and Internet
Food and Drink
Gadgets and Gizmos
Kids and Teens
Music and Movies
Pets and Animals
Politics and Government
Recreation and Sports
Religion and Faith
Travel and Leisure